Jack's Cash

Sunday, January 15, 2006

ShareBuilder - Partial Shares of Stock

I still haven't decided what I will make my first investment in, but something cool that I didn't realize about ShareBuilder is that I can buy partial shares of stock initially. Now I have heard of Dividend Reinvestment Programs (DRIP) where they will use any dividends you get and reinvest them in more stock and they will allow you to purchase partial shares then. Sharebuilder however allows you to purchase partial shares from the start. This means a little guy like me could actually own shares of Berkshire Hathaway(BRK.B) even though its currently costs nearly $3000 just for one share. I could take my $250 from dad and purchase .0856 shares of Berkshire.....very cool!!

When you invest you actually invest in dollar amounts instead of actual shares (very much like mutual funds). I think this is a great way for people like myself to get started in the stock market. I sure am glad my Dad found that bonus promotion. Very shortly I'll actually own my own stock. I think even Warren Buffett would be jealous of me at this age :-)

Jack

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home